My Adventures in Online Dating: Part 2
(Read Part 1 Here)
I've now spent a total of three weeks on Match.com, and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. One one hand, I've talked to some interesting (in a good way) people, and even met one for dinner last week. On the other hand, I've spent hours writing emails back and forth to others I'm still not sure are who they say they are and that I've never talked to in person. It's an investment; one I'm not entirely confident will pay off. Speaking of paying off, $30 a month is a little steep for a college student. That's more than I paid for my mp3 player.
Online dating is also a little overwhelming. I get about 5 emails a day, which may not sound like a lot, but seems like it when I have to go back and recall details about who I'm talking to, and write thoughtful responses. I like to think that online dating could be a fun supplement to regular dating, but for me it's just too much. I'd rather use a service like the one my friend David made, which lets you find a date (or just an activity buddy) for a specific occasion. It's also free.
So back to Match.com. I have to say that my experience has been pretty positive in terms of the people I've talked to. I was surprised to find as many down to earth people that shared my interests (and were close in age) as I did. My one date so far was much less awkward than I imagined it would be, and I now have a Thai food and Billiards buddy who goes to my school!
So am I glad I tried Match.com? Yes. Will I keep paying for it after my group stops footing the bill? Nope. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few years. Besides, in a month, I've made enough connections to look into for now. Did I mention I have 4 dates this weekend?
7 comments:
Hey Nicole! I was so excited to read about your online dating experience. I'm actually writing a paper about it in my mcom100w class. Would you mind if I wrote about your experience in my paper?
Hey Nicole,
I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about your online dating experience to include in my paper. If it's ok with you, could you give me your email? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Hey Nicole. Congratulatoins on winning 2nd place!
Congrats for winning the essay prize!
And your experience at the Match.com sounds really interesting. It's great you have done that for your research.
Four dates! You go girl!
That is a very interesting and exciting research you are doing! Good luck with that. I think you are doing a great job with your blog. Well done :)
Lucky girl! He's a cute one. Congrats on your Kite Runner essay!
Post a Comment